Join Our Posse: Customer Service and Order Fulfillment Manager
This position has been filled (hooray! say hi to Ruth!). Please subscribe to our newsletter to hear about what we're doing next, and if we have positions available in the future.
Outlaw Soaps is looking for a cheerful and efficient person to lead customer service and order fulfillment. The Customer Service and Order Fulfillment Manager makes sure all our customers get their orders when expected, in a way that exceeds their expectations, and if there ever is a problem, it is solved with efficiency and kindness.
The Customer Service and Order Fulfillment manager will be responsible for (in order of priority):
- Fulfilling all retail and wholesale orders in accordance with our strict packaging specifications
- Receiving and addressing customer inquiries in a timely manner
- Alerting our production department (currently Russ) of diminishing stock
- Proactively managing Amazon stock and sending restocks as appropriate
- Keeping track of and reporting on inventory levels (soaps, lotions, etc.)
Being Customer Service and Order Fulfillment Manager for Outlaw Soaps requires specific squishy (non-tangible) skills, namely:
Being a seriously NICE individual: We take customer service intensely seriously. The CSOFM must always assume the best of people and sometimes absorb the impact of when we screw up.
This is a squishy skill, because it involves being nice in a number of circumstances, not just in email or on the phone or when you see someone.
- The ability to keep track of many customers and (probably) many loose ends: Questions can’t always be answered right away, but they still need answering. The Customer Kindness Manager will need to gather information and get back to customers without forgetting any of these customers.
- Phenomenal communication skills: Outlaw Soaps is known for being witty, not snarky; fun, but not reckless (or tooreckless); friendly, but not overbearing. The CSOFM must be able to successfully carry our brand personality into all communications. All communications must be personal and personable. They must also contain correct grammar and spelling (which maybe goes without saying, but this is a job description).
- Customer listening and reporting skills: We are always trying to improve our products, packaging, signage, and support. If a customer says something negative about our product, that’s good info to have
- Self-directed time management and prioritization:This is a management position (see “growth opportunities” section, below), so it is expected that you work autonomously for the most part.
Being CSOFM for Outlaw Soaps requires specific tangible skills, namely:
- Ability to respond to customer service inquiries within 24 hours during the week, and by Monday on the weekends.
- Ability to use our store backend (Shopify) & stamps.com software to fulfill orders. (yes, we will train you, but you have to be familiar and comfortable with computers)
- Reminding of things we forgot: It doesn’t happen often, but sometimes we forget to get back to people about things. You might be one of the people, so please don’t take it personally.
Every day, we get anywhere between 2 and 40 orders, depending on what promotions we’re running. These come through a system called Shopify, and it’s very easy to use (though you’ll have to be reasonably computer savvy). The CSOFM will box the orders according to our strict specifications (that we are very serious about), weigh the box, and print postage using our Stamps.com software.
Periodically, we also get wholesale orders that will come in the form of invoices. The CSOFM also needs to wrap these and package them with additional stuff special to our wholesale accounts.
We also get a fair number of inquiries every day. We get customers wondering where their order is, complaints (infrequently, but it does happen), wholesale requests, and sales calls.
The CSOFM will handle all customer inquiries, and route other requests to another appropriate party. It is absolutely imperative that the CSOFM is courteous and gives the customer the benefit of the doubt in all circumstances (except international orders, which are a side conversation entirely).
Since the CSOFM is working closest with the stock, he or she will need to keep Russ (or the Production Department) informed of potential shortages.
Managing Amazon Fulfillment Stock
We also are very active on Amazon.com. They fulfill orders from their site on our behalf, and we send them boxes of stock as necessary. The CSOFM will have to periodically check Amazon inventory and make sure they neither run out of stock or incur long-term storage fees.
Since this position is a really big deal (after all, it faces the customer, and they’re most important), we will hire as a 1099 contractor for the first 3 months. After the trial period, we will hire as a part time employee.
The position will be between 15 and 20 hours per week, and will grow as our company grows. We prefer mornings from 10 - 1 or so. If this doesn't work for you, we can potentially be flexible if you're amazing.
Outlaw Soaps is growing quickly, and we want you to grow with us. Whoever fills this position will be our first choice for managing our fulfillment department, as long as they meet performance standards.
The CSOFM will report to Russ Vincent, COO. After the initial training, we expect you to act pretty autonomously in this role.
Growth OpportunitiesFrom where we are, there’s really nothing but growth opportunities. As we get bigger, we will start including things like shares in the company as part of the compensation.
If this sounds like you, here's what to do
Fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page, letting us know that you are interested in the position. Include the following:
- Your name (that should be obvious)
- Your main qualifications for the position (If you're a good fit, we'll contact you for your resume later, so don't bother pasting it in the form)
- Why you would like to work for Outlaw Soaps
- Your contact info, including email address
If you're a good fit and we contact you back, we'll ask for the following:
- Your resume
- Some references, preferably professional
We are HELLA busy gearing up for Christmas (yeah, already), so if we don't get back to you right away, don't take it personally. You will note that one of the main functions is reminding us when we forget stuff, so just consider this an example of that.